This registration is for members who are developing solutions to engineering problems using new or existing technologies. Alternatively, you may have technical accountability for complex systems with significant levels of risk.
What are the requirements for CEng?
You will need to provide evidence that you meet the above description through demonstrating your competence across five areas. Generally you will gain these through a combination of education and work-based learning.
The competence areas are:
- Knowledge and understanding – use a combination of general and specialist engineering knowledge and understanding to optimise the application of advanced and complex systems
- Design, development and solving engineering problems – apply appropriate theoretical and practical methods to the analysis and solution of engineering problems
- Responsibility, management, and leadership – demonstrate technical and commercial leadership
- Communication and interpersonal skills – demonstrate effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Personal and professional commitment – demonstrate a personal commitment to professional standards, recognising obligations to society, the profession, and the environment
For more information on the CEng competences, please follow this link to UKSPEC 4th Edition. This document also provides you with examples on how to approach demonstrating your competence.
You will also have to demonstrate your commitment to regularly undertaking professional development activities to ensure your skills and knowledge remain up to date.
What qualifications do I need?
For CEng you will need to demonstrate your breadth and depth of engineering knowledge through an accredited qualification or demonstrate equivalence.
- An integrated MEng degree accredited for CEng
- Or a Bachelor’s degree with Honours in engineering or technology, accredited for CEng with one of the following:
- an accredited Master’s degree
- Engineering Doctorate (EngD)
- appropriate further learning to Masters level
- Technical report
- Learning outcomes form
For details on demonstrating equivalence, please contact [email protected]
To check if your degree is accredited, please use the course search tool provided by the Engineering Council. The tool allows you to check whether your qualification has been approved or accredited as meeting the education requirements for a given category of professional registration.
Applicants should use the online application form which includes a Professional Review Report template and equivalence report. Please refer to the UKSPEC 4th Edition for application guidance notes before starting your application to ensure that you have all the relevant information.
All applicants will have a professional review interview. For information on how to prepare for the interview, please contact the Membership Team.
Applicants will need to identify two supporters; please click here for more information on choosing your supporters.
How do I apply for CEng?
Membership of the IOP is a requirement. If you are not a member click here to apply.
When you feel ready to apply for CEng, please click here.
Contact the Membership Team
Please email [email protected] or call 020 7470 4800 for further information.