This registration is for members who are effective leaders in their fields. You will be using your specialist knowledge and broader scientific understanding to develop and improve the application of science and technology, by scoping, planning, and managing complex projects.
What are the requirements for CSci?
You will need to provide evidence that you meet the above description through demonstrating your competence across five areas. You will provide examples from your working life, usually within the past five years, that illustrate how you have met each standard. These are then assessed either online or in a face-to-face interview.
The competence areas are:
- Application of knowledge and understanding – identify and use relevant scientific understanding, methods and skills to complete tasks and address well defined problems
- Personal responsibility – exercise personal responsibility in planning and implementing tasks according to prescribed protocols
- Interpersonal skills – demonstrate effective personal and communication skills
- Professional practice – apply appropriate practical and theoretical methods according to protocol
- Professional standards – demonstrate a personal commitment to professional standards
More information on the competences.
You will also have to demonstrate your commitment to regularly undertaking professional development activities to ensure your skills and knowledge remain up to date.
What qualifications do I need for CSci?
You must hold a level 7 qualification (level 10 in Scotland) or equivalent level of learning. If you are unsure, contact [email protected] and we will be happy to advise you.
Before starting your application, please read our guidelines (PDF, 614KB).
Please also ensure you have read the relevant information on the Science Council’s website.
Applicants will need to identify two supporters; more information on choosing your supporters.
How do I apply for CSci?
Membership of the IOP is a requirement. If you are not a member apply now.
When you feel ready to apply for CSci, please follow the steps on our website.
Contact the Membership Team
If you have any queries please email [email protected] or call 020 7470 4800 for further information.