This registration is for members working in technical roles who apply proven techniques and procedures to help solve practical engineering problems.
What are the requirements for EngTech?
You will need to provide evidence that you meet the above description through demonstrating your competence across five areas. Generally you will gain these through a combination of education and work-based learning. The competence areas are:
- Knowledge and understanding – use engineering knowledge and understanding to apply technical and practical skills
- Design, development and solving engineering problems – contribute to the design, development, manufacture, construction, commissioning, decommissioning, operation or maintenance of products, equipment, processes, systems, or services
- Responsibility, management, and leadership – accept and exercise personal responsibility
- Communication and interpersonal skills – use effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Personal and professional commitment – demonstrate commitment to an appropriate code of professional conduct, recognising obligations to society, the profession, and the environment
For more information on the EngTech competences, please follow this link to UKSPEC 4th Edition. This document also provides you with examples on how to approach demonstrating your competence.
You will also have to demonstrate your commitment to regularly undertaking professional development activities to ensure your skills and knowledge remain up to date.
What qualifications do I need for EngTech?
Although you do not need any formal qualification to gain registration for EngTech, you will need to have appropriate knowledge and understanding to a level 3 qualification in England, Northern Ireland, or Wales or a/SVQ level 6 qualification in Scotland. Alternatively, you may have successfully completed a relevant Advanced/Modern Apprenticeship or other work-based learning programme. This can lead directly to EngTech registration.
The IOP requires all EngTech applicants to use the online application form which includes a Professional Review Report and equivalence report. Please refer to UKSPEC 4th Edition for application guidance notes before starting your application to ensure that you have all the relevant information.
Applicants will need to identify two supporters; please click here for more information on choosing your supporters.
How do I apply for EngTech?
Membership of the IOP is a requirement. If you are not a member click here to apply.
When you feel ready to apply for EngTech, please click here.
Contact the Membership Team
Please email [email protected] or call 020 7470 4800 for further information.