This registration is for members with experience of maintaining and managing applications of current and developing technologies. You may be undertaking work in engineering design, development, manufacturing, construction, and operation.
What are the requirement for IEng?
You will need to provide evidence that you meet the above description through demonstrating your competence across five areas. Generally you will gain these through a combination of education and work-based learning.
The five areas of competence are:
- Knowledge and understanding – use a combination of general and specialist engineering knowledge and understanding to apply existing and emerging technology
- Design, development and solving engineering problem – apply appropriate theoretical and practical methods to design, develop, manufacture, construct, commission, operate, maintain, decommission, and re-cycle engineering processes, systems, and products
- Responsibility, management, and leadership – provide technical and commercial management
- Communication and interpersonal skills – demonstrate effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Personal and professional commitment – demonstrate a personal commitment to professional standards, recognising obligations to society, the profession, and the environment.
For more information on the IEng competences, please follow this link to UKSPEC 4th edition. This document also provides you with examples on how to approach demonstrating your competence.
You will also have to demonstrate your commitment to regularly undertaking professional development activities to ensure your skills and knowledge remain up to date.
What qualifications do I need IEng?
For IEng, you will need to demonstrate your bread and depth of engineering knowledge through an accredited qualification or demonstrate equivalence.
- An accredited Bachelor’s or honours degree in engineering or technology
or Higher National Diploma;
- Or an accredited Foundation Degree in engineering or technology with an appropriate further learning to degree level;
- Or an accredited NVQ4 or SVQ7 which has been approved for the purpose by a licensed professional engineering institution with appropriate further learning to degree level.
- Technical report
- Learning outcomes form
For details on demonstrating equivalence, please contact [email protected]
To check if your degree is accredited, please use the course search tool provided by the Engineering Council. The tool allows you to check whether your qualification has been approved or accredited as meeting the education requirements for a given category of professional registration.
The IOP requires all IEng applicants to use the online application form, which includes a Professional Review Report and equivalence report. Please refer to UKSPEC 4th edition for application guidance notes before starting your application to ensure that you have all the relevant information.
All applicants will have a professional review interview. For information on how to prepare for the interview, please contact the Membership Team.
Applicants will need to identify two supporters; please click here for more information on choosing your supporters.
How do I apply for IEng?
Membership of the IOP is a requirement. If you are not a member click here to apply.
When you feel ready to apply for IEng, please click here.
Contact the Membership Team
Please email [email protected] or call 020 7470 4800 for further information.