This registration is for members working autonomously in a variety of scientific or higher technical roles. You will be resolving problems and identifying, reviewing, and selecting appropriate techniques, procedures, and methods within your role.
What are the requirements for RSci?
You will need to provide evidence that you meet the above description through demonstrating your competence across five areas. You will provide examples from your working life, usually within the past five years, that illustrate how you have met each standard. These are then assessed either online or in a face-to-face interview.
The competence areas are:
- Application of knowledge and understanding – Identify and use relevant scientific understanding, methods and skills to complete tasks and address well defined problems
- Personal responsibility – Exercise personal responsibility in planning and implementing tasks according to prescribed protocols
- Interpersonal skills – Demonstrate effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Professionalism – Apply appropriate theoretical and practical methods
- Professional standards – Demonstrate a personal commitment to professional standards
For more information on the competences, please click here.
You will also have to demonstrate your commitment to regularly undertaking professional development activities to ensure your skills and knowledge remain up to date.
What qualifications do I need for RSci?
Although you do not need any formal qualification to gain registration for RSci, you will need to have appropriate knowledge and understanding to a Level 5 qualification (level 7 in Scotland) or equivalent. For example, a foundation degree, HND, certificate or diploma, NVQ Level 5.
Equivalence may be demonstrated through a combination of other qualifications, work-based training, and professional experience.
Before starting your application, please read our guidelines (PDF, 609KB).
Please also ensure you have read the relevant information on the Science Council website.
Applicants will need to identify two supporters; please click here for more information on choosing your supporters.
How do I apply for RSci?
Membership of the IOP is a requirement. If you are not a member click here to apply.
When you feel ready to apply for RSci, Please click here.
Contact the Membership Team
If you have any queries please email [email protected] or call 020 7470 4800 for further information.